21 Aug 2026, Fri

No Ban On Davido In Edo, Govt Says As It Declares Singer Welcome


No Ban On Davido In Edo, Govt Says As It Declares Singer Welcome

 

By Ikhili Ebalu, Benin city

Edo State Government has dissociated itself from reports of an alleged ban on music star Davido from entering the state, describing the claim as false and malicious.

‎In a statement, the Hon. Commissioner for Information and Strategy, Hon. Prince Kassim Afegbua, said Edo State remains home to all, regardless of belief, political persuasion, affinity or legal affiliation.

‎”The Government of Edo State hereby dissociates itself from such spiteful behavior. Edo State is home to all. As a matter of fact, should Davido intend to perform in Edo State in future, the state will be willing to collaborate and partner with him,” the statement read.

The Commissioner described those behind the alleged ban as “enemies of Edo State.”

‎”Our enemies are at it again. We did not ban Davido from entering Edo State. The proclaimer of that ban is an enemy of Edo State; an impostor and a fraud,” he said.

‎ According to him, Governor Monday Okpebholo maintains cordial relations with various demographics.

‎”Governor Okpebholo is very well balanced and at home with various demographics and their leanings. Davido is one of our illustrious sons, whose mother hails from Edo State.

‎He is exemplary, and we are pleased to associate with him. Should he wish to visit Edo State, we would happily host and fete him.”

‎Afegbua added that whatever transpired in Osun State in the wake of last week’s election was purely politics and not personal.

‎”Davido is a young man who has remained one of Nigeria’s global ambassadors, doing us proud and building bridges across socio-political divides. As a government, we are pleased with his conduct, commitment and calculated conquest in the music industry. Indeed, we look forward to him being awarded a Grammy title.”


By joshua