A communique issued @ the end of a congress of the Kogi State Chapter of Nigeria Association of Women Journalists (NAWOJ) held on 10th January 2024
National Association of Women Journalists, Kogi State Chapter held its Congress on 10th January 2024 @ the NUJ press center, Lokoja, and the following resolutions were reached:
1. NAWOJ commended His Excellency, Alhaji Yahaya Bello, the Governor of Kogi State for encouraging women’s participation in governance through the recent appointments. Governor Yahaya Bello demonstrated this by appointing women into important positions for example Hajia Habibat Oyiza Tijjani as Accountant General and Hon Rosemary Ohiezu as caretaker chairman. etc.
2. NAWOJ congratulates Kogi State Governor-Elect, His Excellency, Alhaji Usman Ahmed Ododo, and the Deputy Governor-Elect, His Excellency, Comrade Joel Oyibo on their victory at @the polls and urges the duo to toe the line of Alhaji Yahaya Bello as regards appointment of women into significant positions.
3. NAWOJ calls on the State government to reintroduce a monthly sanitation program in the State towards the overall health and well-being of Kogites. This will enhance hygiene and cut the cost of medications.
4. NAWOJ decries the incessant influx of destitutes into Lokoja, the State Capital from other States and calls on the State government to derive measures towards curbing the dumping of beggars @Kogi State Capital. This will reduce the ugly sight of beggars littering streets in Lokoja, the State Capital.
5. NAWOJ condemns the killing of Meimunat Opaluwa Sanni the 75-year-old elder sister of the Attah lgala HRM, Matthew Opaluwa who was set ablaze alongside her daughter and granddaughter. The association calls on government and security agencies to bring the perpetrator to book.