19 Aug 2026, Wed

Youths Protest Benin-Asaba Road, Demand Urgent Federal, Edo Intervention


Youths Protest Benin-Asaba Road, Demand Urgent Federal, Edo Intervention

 

 

By Ikhili Ebalu, Benin city

There was heavy traffic jam along the Benin-Asaba Expressway road at Ikpoba Hill in Ikpoba-Okha Local Government Area of Edo State on Wednesday as the youths barricaded the Expressway in protest against the deplorable condition of the road, causing traffic gridlock and leaving several travellers stranded.

The protesters, under the aegis of the Ikpoba Hill Youth Forum, IHYF, demanded urgent intervention from the Minister of Works, Engr. David Umahi, and the Edo State Governor, Senator Monday Okpebholo, over what they described as the worsening condition of the federal road.

Chairman of the forum, Kingsley Osemwingie, who spoke during the protest, said the demonstration was aimed at drawing the attention of the federal and state governments to the hardship being experienced by residents, motorists and businesses along the road corridor.

He, however, lamented that rather than improve, the condition of the road had deteriorated, with large portions excavated and drainage channels left exposed.

According to him, the situation has become particularly dangerous during the rainy season, as flooding obscures excavated portions and drainage channels, exposing motorists to accidents.

“The youths are protesting the deplorable condition of the Benin-Asaba Expressway. We were excited when the road was flagged off because we were told it would be completed within two years. But today, the entire stretch is worse than where it was,” he said.

Osemwingie appealed to the Minister of Works to inspect the project and assess the quality and pace of work being carried out by the concessionaire handling the road.

He also called on Governor Okpebholo to visit the area and witness the situation firsthand, saying the governor could liaise with the Federal Government for urgent intervention despite the road being a federal project.

He alleged that the contractor had excavated significant portions of the road without providing a safe alternative lane for motorists, thereby worsening traffic and disrupting commercial activities along the corridor.

“We appreciate the efforts of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu and Governor Monday Okpebholo in executing infrastructure projects across the country and Edo State. We do not want the failure of a contractor to tarnish the image of government,” Osemwingie said.

Osemwingie said the protesters would remain at the location until their concerns were addressed, stressing that the demonstration was peaceful and intended to draw attention to the plight of residents.

Also speaking, a resident of the area, Hon. Osazee Agbonifo, described the condition of the road as a “disaster” and said the protest was not motivated by personal interests.

He appealed to the government to urgently intervene, particularly over the open excavations and drainage channels which, according to him, have become hazardous to motorists and pedestrians.

Similarly, a filling station manager along the road corridor, Musa Abubaka, said the poor state of the road had negatively affected businesses in the area.

Abubakar alleged that the contractor had repeatedly excavated portions of the road without completing the work, leaving businesses struggling to gain access.

He said his filling station had been partly blocked by sand from an excavated drainage channel, making it difficult for motorists to access the facility.

“We are appealing to the state government to intervene. Although this is a federal road, the governor is our representative and can engage the Federal Government to find an urgent solution,” he said.

All efforts to get the feedback from the concessionaire were unsuccessful as calls put across to his phone were not answered.


By joshua