22 May 2026, Fri

Alleged Indebtedness: Provide Verifiable Evidence, Umahi Tells Ohiri, Directs Legal Actions


Alleged Indebtedness: Provide Verifiable Evidence, Umahi Tells Ohiri, Directs Legal Actions

 

By Our Correspondent, Abakaliki

The Minister of Works, Senator David Umahi has challenged Mrs Tracy Ohiri to Provide verifiable evidence including all relevant communication to substantiate her claims on the alleged Indebtedness levelled against him and directed his legal team to proceed with court actions.

In a statement issued on Saturday and signed by his Senior Special Assistant on Media, Mr Francis Nwaze, the minister said the decision became necessary in the interest of truth and public clarity amid ongoing public discourse on the matter.

Umahi stated that two conditions had earlier been outlined for resolving the issue, including allowing the matter to be determined in court or the presentation of credible and verifiable evidence by Mrs Ohiri.

According to the statement “For the avoidance of doubt, the Honourable Minister had clearly stated that either the issue should be determined in court or Mrs Ohiri should provide verifiable evidence, including all relevant communications, to substantiate her claims”

“Following the failure to meet these conditions, particularly the inability to provide credible and verifiable evidence, the Minister has directed his legal team to proceed with all court processes to ensure that the truth is fully established.”

The minister also addressed issues surrounding the involvement of legal practitioner, Marshall Abubakar, noting that he acted in good faith and did not engage in any financial negotiations on behalf of Mrs Ohiri.

“Barr. Marshall Abubakar conducted himself with utmost decency and integrity throughout. He neither requested nor received any money from the Honourable Minister at any point,”

According to Umahi, although some associates and well-meaning individuals had independently indicated willingness to assist Mrs Ohiri, there was no formal discussion or agreement on payment.

He added that he had been informed that some friends and associates were willing to contribute N1 billion if Mrs Ohiri could provide complete evidence, including logs and communications relating to the claims.

“The Minister is still awaiting the submission of such evidence,” the statement said.

Umahi further explained that his earlier silence on the matter, despite what he described as repeated provocations and public attacks, was deliberate and aimed at maintaining focus on national assignments.

“However, recent developments have made it necessary to respond in order to set the record straight,” he said.

The minister reiterated his commitment to delivering critical road infrastructure across the country, stressing that he would not be distracted from his mandate.

He also expressed appreciation to Nigerians who, according to him, had taken time to examine the issues critically and form informed opinions.


By joshua