Democracy is the best form of government and elections play a pivotal role in a system of representative democracy. It also serve as ingredient of development, where it is properly conducted, that encourage inclusivity and participation of all.
It is worrisome, that the current government in Kogi State deliberately refused to conduct Local Government elections since the expiration of elected local government chairman and councillors since 2016. All hope where put in place when the current Kogi State Independent Electoral Commission was constituted in the first quarter of 2020.
The commission on September 9th, 2020 release a timetable which stipulated that elections shall be conducted in the 21 Local Governments and 239 wards. The election was held as stipulated on the timetable with all forms of electoral malpractices which does not meet international standard of conducting election in this century.
– Pre-elections activities indicated that not much was done by KSIEC ON Civic and Voters education.
– Political Parties did not conduct transparent Primaries that produced candidates that participated in the elections.
– Materials where not distributed to the wards on time, which made it difficult for electoral materials to reach their respective Polling Units
– On the day of Elections, several
Polling Units did not receive materials as at 8:00am, contrary to the Notice of Poll released by KSIEC on the 23rd of November, 2020 that voting shall commence by 8:00am
– KSIEC did not produced ICT materials, and even postal to indicate the location were elections are to be held.
– Adequate materials and equipment should be purchase by KSIEC to assist them to conduct Free and fair elections subsequently as another elections is due in 2023 as we can repeat the same mistake witness during this elections that was conducted on the 12th December, 2020.
*IDRIS MILIKI ABDUL,*
Conscience for Human Rights and Conflict Resolution (CHRCR),
Lokoja, Kogi State.
*14TH December, 2020*